Amazon Products

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Quick Word on Happiness: Take advantage of what you do have





A handicapped and happy me hangin' with friends


Exploit the resources you DO have access to.

The average person is usually astonished when they see a physically handicapped person show intense signs of emotional happiness. How could someone in such a restricted physical state be so happy? The answer rests in how they use the resources they do have. Stevie Wonder couldn’t see, so he exploited his sense of hearing into a passion for music, and he now has twenty-five Grammy Awards to show for it.

When I saw the above yesterday at care2.com, I paused a bit and thought, "Yeah, I guess that is what some people see." I have CP, I'm not medically cleared to drive a car, I spend a lot of time indoors and I'm not a rich guy. But those people, those naysayers, they don't see what they don't see: that my time indoors is used wisely for business, for watching movies, for Skype social events and for networking with friends. They don't see me working toward making money. They don't see that I get to spend all day freelancing in my pajamas if I want. They don't see that I met the love of my life and that I'm engaged to be married and currently planning the wedding.

You see, most things in your life, if you look at them detached from your worries, you may find that you have more blessings that you realize. The problem is likely that you are focusing on what you don't want, what mistakes you have made, obstacles not yet overcome. Instead you could be finding solutions, being thankful for what you do have and working hard toward what you want in a constructive and productive manner that allows you to be happier, healthier and smiling all the more. This seems easy, right? Doing these things may not make you $1 million or get you to the Tour de France, or then again it might. But you won't know unless you confront your worries and problems with actions that help you achieve more of what you want out of life. As Yoda of Star Wars fame once said, there is no try. Do or do not. In reality, trying is doing something. We don't try in our heads, in thoughts or prayers. Those are each intentions that must be met with actions. So act now in any way, no matter how small or large. Intend success and more success will likely come with intended action and living every day on purpose.
Roll on!

Click here to sponsor charities for free with a click of your mouse: http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/

No comments:

Post a Comment