Amazon Products

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Take the challenge to be yourself on World Autism Day


“If I could snap my fingers and be nonautistic, I would not. Autism is part of what I am.” ― 
Temple Grandin

Today is World Autism Awareness Day

Graphic: Autism Awareness Facebook


Activist and Author Temple Grandin makes a stark point with the above quotation. Are our abilities and "disabilities" equal parts of ourselves? It is a question I ask myself regularly. Did a grand Universe allow me to be disabled? Or might I have been made able to be uniquely me by virtue of my Cerebral palsy?

No matter the answer, I most certainly  find Ms. Grandin's outlook to be  a glimmering beacon of hope for any folks who might otherwise consider themselves incomplete or of say, lesser value based on the perceptions that others might often place on "the disabled's" heads like a crown of thorns to unwittingly and unconsciously mock their personhood. Because, while it might be well intended, pity has no place in the matter when it comes to respecting each other as equally unique in the sight of creation.


Roll on... as yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment